Protecting The Rights Of Grandparents

Most grandparents want to be involved in the lives of their grandchildren. Many had positive experiences raising their own children and want to continue being a source of unconditional love and support for their family.

If you are being unfairly denied access to your grandchildren or believe their parents are unfit, you may have legal options. Speak with a lawyer to get more individualized guidance.

I am attorney Leonard Roth, and I have more than four decades of experience helping grandparents explore ways to obtain access to their grandchildren. Call 713-965-7608 to discuss your rights with a family law specialist.

Fostering The Grandparent/Grandchild Relationship

The value of the relationship between a child and his or her grandparents is incalculable. As a grandparent, you offer not only care and encouragement, but also the wisdom that comes from living a long and fulfilling life. It therefore goes without saying that both grandchildren and grandparents benefit from being a significant presence in each other's lives. However, when the bond between them is severed by a divorce, the results can be emotionally devastating.

While the United States Supreme Court has ruled that grandparents do not have automatic visitation rights, you do have options. You may visit your grandchildren if you have the permission of at least one of the parents, but that of course is at their discretion. You may seek a court order to visit your grandchildren if both parents object to the visitation.

As long as it does not negatively interfere with good parenting, which is the focus of most Texas courts, I work with grandparents to help them receive access to their grandchildren.

Granting Custody To Grandparents

Unfortunately, there are instances when grandparents are needed for more than just their unconditional love. If the welfare of your grandchildren is being jeopardized by unfit parenting, you may view it as your responsibility to step in. Common examples of unfit parenting include:

  • A parent who physically or emotionally abuses the child
  • A parent who abuses drugs or alcohol and puts the child at physical, emotional or mental risk
  • A parent who is physically or mentally unable to care for the child

We can discuss whether you are in a legal position to attempt to achieve primary joint managing conservatorship or sole managing conservatorship of the child. I work closely with my clients to determine if seeking custody is in the best interests of the grandchildren, and if it is, I fight aggressively to help them gain managing conservatorship.

Send me an online message to schedule your appointment to discuss your rights and options as a grandparent.