Experienced Texas SAPCR Attorney

Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship

Sometimes children are conceived during tenuous or non-existent relationships, yet legal rights must be established in order to have any real say in the raising of the child.

Raising children can be one of the most exciting and rewarding experiences some adults will ever have. However, when a child is born in the midst of intense arguing between parents, or if there is uncertainty about who the father is, it can also be one of the most frustrating, traumatic and confusing experiences an adult will ever endure.

If you are involved in a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR), it is crucial to work with an attorney who understands family law, appreciates the courts, and fights to protect your parental rights. I am attorney Leonard Roth, and I have been serving families in the Houston, Texas area since 1972. As a board-certified family law specialist by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, I have the experience needed to protect your parental rights. Contact me online or call (713) 965-7608 to schedule your appointment.

Who Has Parental Rights?

Many women believe that because they gave birth to a child, they automatically have greater legal rights than the father. This is not necessarily the case. Because both a mother and father contributed in their own way to the conception of the child, both parents may have equal general parental rights. Important rights must be determined by the court or by the parties, and an order must be signed by the court to have enforceable legal rights.

However, the issue is not always so easy, particularly when paternity (parentage) is contested or unknown. In order to determine the identity of both parents and establish their respective parental duties and rights, an original Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) must be filed.

Once parentage is established, the original SAPCR action can proceed to the court, where conservatorship and other parental rights, such as the awarding of visitation and child support payments, will be established.

Understanding What is Legally Expected of Parents

While acquiring parental rights can be a great joy, there are also numerous responsibilities that come with the acquisition. For example, you will be expected to help the child by making regular child support payments. With over four decades of family law experience, I can help you understand the responsibilities that will follow from establishing paternity (parentage) and being granted parental rights.

The responsibility of being a parent is hard enough. The task does not get any easier when the legal system is involved. The courts use a number of acronyms, such as SPO, JMC, SMC, and the law can be extremely confusing. I work closely with my clients through every step of the legal process, taking time to explain the law and their options in each situation.

Contact me online or call (713) 965-7608 to discuss your parental rights with a lawyer who fully understands the original Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) process.